Wednesday, June 2, 2010

Entertainment

I know I keep saying it but some things are really different here. However, in all fairness, some things are the same. Janessa (one of our Covenant college girls) had her 19th birthday on Monday. So we had a nice birthday party with the whole gang plus the other host family. It was a great night.

Here is a picture of all 9 students. Six of them will leave on Friday while three of them stay for another 7 weeks or so.
Here are our three: Lauren, Janessa, and Katy (left to right)
Okay so that was a "normal" evening of entertainment. Sometime last week, Dade talked David (our guard) into making him some wings so that he could fly. David did the best he could do with a few pieces of cardboard. But, alas, Dade wasn't able to fly. (Sorry there are no pictures - it started and ended before I even knew about the experiment) I was proud of him because he didn't give up there, he tried a couple of other ideas (but sticks aren't very light) and his other attempts were all unsuccessful as well. He has now resorted to jumping off the ledge around the front of the house. I am all in favor of this since he doesn't go very high and he is always on the ground by dinner. :)
So, I think that's not quite "normal"...but to prove some things are...here is Dara playing her DS. I think those have been one of the best items we brought with us. They have provided all of us with much needed "down-time" at one time or another.
On a side note, sometimes life in another culture can be a bit overwhelming and it's just nice to have a brainless distraction for a time. Please don't forget to pray for us and other people you know who live in a culture different than their original (this includes neighbors you have in America who are from somewhere else). We need God's grace and strength continuously.

Okay, back on track. I also don't have pictures of my last form of entertainment. I'll do my best to describe it. In my mind it falls under the category of: "You might be a redneck if..." If you watch the dogs eat and talk about which one will finish first and whether or not that one will try to fight another one in order to get more food.

It's almost embarrassing to admit, but this is exactly what Ruth and I did this evening. We fed the dogs and pulled up stools to watch the drama unfold. To our credit, we had given them some leftover Swedish meatballs (from Janessa's party) and the dogs were in heaven. We sat there watching in excess of 10 minutes and laughed at our precious puppies.

Here is a picture of Amaani, our dog who almost died. She is now the smallest of three but she doesn't let that hold her back!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

So glad to hear things are going well. What is the weather like over there? Is it getting hotter for the summer yet? We are counting down the day till we get to see you guys again. Love you all,
Robin