Tuesday, December 8, 2009

Zoo pics

Like Joel said the Entebbe zoo was a surprisingly enjoyable trip. The vervet monkeys were all around when we entered. They stayed mostly by the mango trees and the playground. The only animals I can ever remember being allowed to walk around a zoo are some of the birds in the Ft. Worth Zoo (like the peacock). We are definitely new to Africa as evidenced by our excitement at seeing the monkeys all around. Thankfully there weren't many people around so there was no need to be embarrassed.

Sometimes the monkeys would get a little too close for comfort.

Dara didn't care for them trying to climb the "monkey" bars with her.

Doesn't Dade look very similar to an African monkey?




Don't get me wrong, they also had birds walking around - they just weren't as exciting as the monkeys.


Here's a golden crested crane (the country bird).




I don't know what this bird is, but it was pretty.

Remember this from zoos? It's the place where you see if you can jump as far as a grasshopper or rabbit or gazelle. We have concluded that we are not a family of jumpers - and that's okay!

I love this picture as it reminds me that nothing is wasted. (If you can't tell what the man is doing, he is draining the rain water into the yellow jug (they call them jerry cans)).

It was feeding time for the chimpanzees. They were screeching and hollering and fighting over the food. They were quite loud. I wouldn't want to hear those sounds if I were alone in the rainforest.

This one kept chasing all the others.

Their habitat was beautiful and open. When the weather doesn't change, you don't have to keep them enclosed - nice.

I was so impressed with the lushness of the zoo and the pathways we walked. It may not be as pretty in the dry season, but it was beautiful that day.The zoo sits on the edge of Lake Victoria and we ate a nice lunch enjoying the beauty of it.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thank you for the pictures. Those monkeys would have been a little too close for me too. It's always interesting to see what is allowed in zoos in other countries, things our zoo would never allow, for fear of being sued! You are all looking so good. And I'm glad you had such a nice time away for a few days of fun, and dentist appointments! Love you all, Gigi

Anonymous said...

Looks like you guys had a lot of fun. Glad to see that you guys got some great family time. Love you Robin

Anonymous said...

Looks like a fun day. Terrie Knowles

Tiffany said...

WOW! Looks like y'all had a lot of fun!! I'm sooo jealous that you got to see monkeys like that. I really think that's the coolest thing in the world. I would want to hold one and take it home!! Iwonder if it would bite me or if they're nice? Dade does look like a little monkey in that picture lol! :) Love y'all!!