Thursday, December 17, 2009

Odds and Ends

This past week has probably been one of the most relaxing weeks we've had in a long time (even when on vacation). It was a time to catch up on some much needed rest.
The weather has been cooler in the mornings (like low 60s kind of cool). Dara keeps asking if God is "doing this on purpose". She had to explain it to me, but she was wondering if He is making it cooler to help it feel like Christmas. It sounds good to me. It has been cloudy in the evenings and I've been trying to catch a sunset but rarely have the time to wait for it. So here is a pre-sunset picture. Still beautiful!

This picture isn't quite as stunning but impressive none the less. We (Ruth, the kids, and I) were so taken by the legs this carrot had grown, we thought it deserved to be documented. We called him Charlie.

I did wish I had my camera yesterday when Joel was sitting out on the curb cutting his hair. The guys gathered around and we all visited. It was a fun time. If you ever remember watching your dad shave his face, it's kind of mesmerizing. That's how it was. We talked about Christmas lunch and people's favorite foods and watched Joel slowly cut off his hair and shave his head. Then I wondered to myself, "Are they watching so intently to see if he's still white under all that brown hair?" It made me chuckle to myself, but of course they've seen him bald. So I'm sure it was just something to do. I told you our week has been relaxing.

In our defense, we haven't been slacking (as it may appear). This is our last week of school before our Christmas break. Dade's reading is finally taking off, and Dara has learned that I do not know my state capitals! Joel has been working on a budget for a local businessman and a business curriculum that he'll be teaching on a weekly basis starting early February. I just didn't want you to think you sent us here to draw faces on carrots. Maybe it shows a desperation for entertainment...I don't know...but I do know the pace of life here can be wonderful.

This last picture is not just a photo of a random flower. This flower represents something growing in our garden that we Texans are eagerly anticipating. Any guesses? I'll post later with the answer...good night!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Is the flower an okra plant? Love the picture of the guys napping. It is wonderful that no matter were you are you can always take a good nap.

Love ya, Robin

Anonymous said...

Dad looked at this yesterday and knew right away that it was Okra. He was excited for you to get such a wonderful vegie! Glad things have slowed down a bit. Have a wonderful Christmas. We leave for grandma's house on Monday.
Love to all, Mom, Gramma