Like Joel said, yesterday we had two sick cows. One cow is improving with anitbiotics. She is back to producing milk we can use. The jersey cow, however, had something called "redwater fever" and she died this afternoon. This morning her temperature was 32 degrees celsius (89.6 farenheit) and her normal should have been 38.5 (101.3) degrees. It's never a good sign when the body temperature begins to match room temperature. That's something I learned from the ICU and it makes sense for cattle too. The vet had come over late this morning and gave her an IV infusion but it was too late.
She was the nicest cow we had and we will all miss her. The kids are doing okay with it all. Apparently her meat was still good and John was a butcher in New Zealand so...we put the word out and offered free meat. At least we were able to bless others with our loss. I'm just praying that the meat really is safe to eat (both the vet and the internet say it is). That kind of makes up the biggest part of our day. I'm off to bed now - you just never know what tomorrow brings and I meet it so much better if I've had my rest! Good night!
No comments:
Post a Comment