Saturday, December 5, 2009

Trip Update

Just wanted everyone to know that we made it back from Kampala safe and sound. Went to the dentist on Monday and found out that the only option was a root canal. Reminded me of the last time I went to a dentist (at least 11 years ago) with the same result. They did some work on Monday and asked me to come back on Friday to finish up.

Tuesday we took the kids to the Entebbe Zoo. We had been warned by some that it was not much, but were pleasantly surprised. There were Vervet monkeys running all over - free to roam the zoo as they pleased. Dara and Dade got up close and personal as they played on the playground and had monkeys all around them. It was a very relaxing day for all of us.

On Wednesday, I took the car to the only mechanic we know in Kampala (from trusted sources) and had our vehicle checked out. Everything appeared okay, but we needed routine stuff done - new brake pads, discs machines, new sway bar, new shock bushings and a new sterring hub - all those wonderful things that African roads do to a vehicle. We finally got our "kill" switch installed and are now officially covered under our insurance policy.

Jill got to finally have her hair done here in Africa on Thursday. There was a recommended place not far from where we were staying. While she did that, I took the kids and ran a few errands.

Friday had me back at the dentists for the second phase of the root canal. It was only supposed to take 1 1/2 hours, but I think I finally left after 3 hours!!!!! Needless to say, my mouth was just a little sore on the drive home. Fortunately, the road between Kampala and Mbarara tends to take your mind off anything other than driving.

It feels good to be back home! We start school back next week and are trying to really pray through what God wants us doing during our remaining time here. We'll update with pics soon, so check back.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey! We were glad to hear about your holiday. It sounded like a lot of fun, except for the sick part. We sure do miss all of you. We hope Joel will be pain free and that all of you will stay well. We love reading about all your adventures. Cindy B.

Anonymous said...

Hi Dara
I'm really glad I got to see you today in church. I miss you and hope you're having a great time and I can't wait to hear all of your stories.

love A. Gammon


p.s. hope I get to see you when ya'll get back. :)