Saturday, March 6, 2010

What a day!

Some days have moments that are just a blur...today was such a day. It started this morning when Joel was running back into the house. He kicked his right big toe into the cement steps and came in limping. The pain grew worse throughout the day, and low and behold...he broke his toe in 2 places (possibly 3 - the radiologist wasn't sure). The positive aspect is that the price of xrays is so cheap here. It cost $8.50 to have the xray done and read!

He has said several times today that he will never again laugh at someone who complains of pain because of a broken toe. Maybe it's God's way of helping him slow down a bit. Please pray it heals nicely/quickly.

The second thing that made the day interesting was the visit from a vet. We spoke with him on Thursday and asked him if he had ever "fixed" a cat. He assured us that he had and he would put Mikey to sleep for the procedure. Well, he arrived around noon while I was away returning the girls who had slept over for Dara's birthday party. Joel called me to say the vet had arrived and did I really want the procedure done. He said Mikey was scratching and fighting and the vet was trying to find a vein. What I didn't understand was that Joel was waiting for me to return home in order to assist the vet. So I was still in town 20 minutes later when Joel called me back. (Mind you - his toe was killing him, Mikey is all upset, and it had started to rain so he had gotten the clothes off the line which made his toe hurt even worse! This was before we knew it was broken.)

Finally, I arrived home and assisted the vet with the procedure. I cannot even begin to explain to you the ordeal! I now know why vets have you drop off your cat in the morning and pick them up later in the day. It is not something the owner, who loves the cat, needs to see.

(If you want to skip this part you can - I won't be offended) As he tried to inject the anesthetic, the vein blew (3 times!). So Mikey was somehow relaxed but still very awake during the procedure. He fell asleep after it was all over. My role was to hold onto Mikey's front legs and stay away from his teeth. We had him on a little table on the front porch. His head and legs were tied to the railing and I held the front legs. Even with all of that he was flopping around. It was awful. In the end the procedure is done and he is able to walk - just very wobbly still.

The vet was very complimentary of me. He kept saying that I was a "tough" because "most people would be wounded by now". I tried to explain that my death grip on his legs was as much for my protection as Mikey's well being. I don't think he understood, but it's always nice to impress someone. I just kept praying it would be over soon....What a crazy experience!

Well, I think that's it for my day. Sorry no pictures. I've slowed down in taking pictures as life has just settled into somewhat of a routine. I'll try to get better. Have a nice weekend!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Good for you! Who would have thought all of your nursing skills could be put to such good use. I am sorry for Mikey, but maybe cats have a short memory and he won't remember who held his feet. However, you might want to be sure your toes and fingers aren't sticking out from the covers the next couple of nights, cats can be quite sneaky you know! Hope both Mikey and Joel will recover quickly. Broken toes are nothing to laugh about, I know about that. Although I think the big toe is one that I missed during my "breaking toes" years!
Love you all, Gigi

Tiffany said...

WOW! Sorry I'm a little behind I just read that and you posted it like 2 days ago. I don't think I couldv'e been that strong. Joel, I'm SOOO sorry about your toe!!! I know that has to hurt. I'll be praying for you!