Thursday, March 11, 2010

Toe Problems

Okay......so I did it the right way......big toe fractured in three different places! Kind of amazing that the end of the toe is still there right now. As one of the doctors said, "that's a pretty impressive break. You did it the right way." Is there a right way to break a toe? I guess by "right," it simply means that the fact the toe has not fallen off and is not just flopping around is kind of hard to believe when you see the x-rays.

So, I've been on some type of pain medicine. Fortunately (I think Jill might have mentioned this already), Jill found some pain meds that we had packed from back home and that took the edge off Sat night. Since then, I have been taking a high does of something or other that reduces inflammation - pretty sure it's just a very high dose of something similar to Ibuprofen. It's not supposed to make you drowsy, but it's been hard for me to stay awake during the day this week. They say the pain might get better in 4 weeks, I might be able to put my full body weight on it by 6 weeks and it should be completely healed in about 8-10 weeks! I know God is in control, but this is really not the best timing in my mind for something like this to happen. We are still trying to get all the maize ground up from harvest for Farming God's Way. There are things to get done in preparation of the Hollenbeck's return in April. Besides, I kind of had a pretty full schedule anyway and this puts a damper on a lot of activities that require moving around - that's pretty much everything!

On Monday I was trying to help Jill close the curtains for the night and kicked the couch with my newly broken toe. On Tuesday morning, I went in to the kitchen around 5:45 to make coffee and kicked a stool that had been left sitting out, with my newly broken toe. Yesterday it started raining on our maize that we had just spent three days trying to dry out, so all four of us ran out to try to get it covered before we lost several more days. Needless to say, scooping maize in buckets and getting your feet buried under kilos of maize is not he best way to heal a newly broken toe! I'm trying to convince myself that none of this set me back in the healing process and that by Sat, I'm still one week down in the recovery. We'll see.

Keep praying....many exciting things happening and we should have some news to share in the coming weeks.

No comments: