Does anyone remember that song, "Swinging" from back in the 80's? Anyway, I date myself...We have this really neat tree on the edge of our compound. Its branches are limber but strong. Dara and Dade have been swinging on them and I finally took some pictures (not all of them turned out because they were too blurry).

Here is Ruth swinging too. I'm not sure who had more fun - the kids or her!


Dade's swinging pictures didn't turn out well, so here's some of him climbing. He has the toughest feet! In order to get down, he scoots back on his bum until about half way and then he jumps. He was doing it so much, I had to ask him to find a different tree. His shorts were wearing thin on the back side!

Ruth dubbed him an "African enkyende" (pronounced enchenday). So now, he's not only an African boy, he's and African monkey. He loves it!
Since these pictures were taken, we have stopped the swinging because the branches weren't really made for that and there is a wall that could easily bust open a head if they landed just right. Joel has assured them he will find a rope and make a more sturdy swing. Maybe I'll try it then.
Other tidbits going on...our garden is producing more than we can enjoy. This is a pumpkin/squash. It tastes like a yellow squash but, as you can see, it looks like a pumpkin. We have lots!

Finally, here is another picture of Rhea. Last Saturday evening, God was gracious enough to bring this little kitten into our lives.

I told Dara a little over a month ago that the only way we would get a cat is if God brought it up to our compound. She kind of gave up praying for one, then last Saturday evening James comes and gets Joel. He was gone for awhile and then he came into the house carrying this little bundle in a towel. She was scared and nervous. We found out that her owner was our neighbor and he was happy to let us keep her. We know the Hollenbecks are not found of cats, and we will have to find her a home when we leave. But for the time being she has brought a sense of home for us (we have had at least one cat our entire married life). The kids have loved her and she is a good distraction from the thoughts of rats/mice. Hopefully she will grow up and be able to keep them out of the house.
Dara and I did take a moment to thank God for answering her prayer - even if not as quickly as she had hoped. He did bring a cat onto our compound...what a great God we serve! He is so thoughtful and loving!!!
(p.s. this blog will work for Joel's daily post - just in case you wondered) :)
3 comments:
Love the pictures. The kids look happy and healthy. Love and miss you all. Robin
Thanks for the pics and the updates. What seems dull and routine to you, helps us know that all is well. It is so neat to see the kitten. What a faith builder for Dara. Love and miss all of you. Mom/Gramma
1. I want to swing too
2. thats a big squash thing
3. I LOVE RHEA!
Miss you and love you ALL!!!!!!!!!!!
Post a Comment