Our host family is amazing. The couple is Amos and Perry Mukasa. They have 6 boys and 1 girl. They have embraced and welcomed us better than I could have possibly dreamed. Tonight Boris (that's not his given name but his nickname and I cannot say his given name very well), helped me - or better - allowed me to help him chapatis. It's a round bread that they very much enjoy. I made them once with my pastor's wife, but that was a couple of years ago and I was clueless enough to not confess ever having been taught before.
This is a picture of Boris and me with the various stages...Boris is holding the finished project and I have a ball of dough and a rolled, uncooked chapati. Boris is 20 years old and wants to be an engineer. He is hoping to find out if he is accepted into a university this coming Monday. I told that maybe we should start a restaurant and specialize in chapatis!
Dade was enthralled by the cooking process - specifically the fire. When Dara got into the game, she just really wanted to use the last little bit as play-do. (Something, I have a recipe for and will need to make pretty soon.) I think Boris thought Dara was crazy because she kept trying to draw faces in the dough. He was, however, quite disappointed that she refused to try the chapati. Dade, thankfully, made up for her with his enthusiastic appreciation.
The kids have had a blast playing with the kids but today spent the day with our team leaders kids so we could focus easier. The children here leave for school at 6:30 am and return at 6 pm. And our kids would be terribly lonely without them.
I don't know if every Christian, Ugandan family is similar, but the Mukasas have this great tradition of singing 1-2 hymns together with a time of prayer before bed. I think we'll definitely be incorporating that into our lives. It's great.
This last picture is of us standing with one leg in each hemispehere (unfortunately you can't tell which is which - you'll have to take our word for it) We crossed over on our way to Mbara.
8 comments:
I am so proud of you all. Good job Dade for trying the food. We miss and love you all. We keep praying for you daily. Love, Robin,Michael and Ally.
Hey, you guys look like you're getting the hang of things!! You look happy and well... but we'll keep praying that the kids start LOVING the food. God can do anything, right?!! You should ask if your host family can teach you how to make mandazi this week. They're sweet and doughnut-like, and might warm Dara up to Ugandan cuisine!!
Know that you are lifted up!!
-Sandy
We loved cooking on a JIKO. We found a small jiko-like grill here that we use quite often. It's so economical...and makes food so tasty. The charcoal they use is homemade...so, here we have to buy the homemade stuff at a higher price at World Market. But oh the difference is worth the taste! Jill, you will be a 'fundi' in chapati making before you know it!
Hey there,
I was catching up on your blog yesterday and left a post, but it never appeared - lost in cyberspace somewhere.
I love the pictures and you look great! Tell Dara and Dade hello for us. We miss them so much.
This week is VBS. Our theme verse is 1 John 4:9, 'This is how God showed his love among us: He sent his one and only Son into the world that we might live through him.' I'm praying that as we tell kids about God's love here, you will have many opportunities to tell others about his live there.
Miss you, love you and praying for you.
Charles
Hey! Sorry I haven't commented in a while. We were in Arlington on the home trip. I got the stuff from grandpa's and in the process saw your house. It was weird! I'm so glad y'all had fun with the host family! I miss you all so much! Please tell Dade and Dara I miss them a lot and I love them tons!!!
Jill-I had cold stone the other day in your honor :) chocolate cake batter w/ brownie! I wish I could mail some to you. I love you so much, sister! Be safe!
I am thankful all is well with you guys. We love and Miss you! Give Dara and Dade a big hug!!
Exodus, middle of Judges :)going onto Sarah next...all of our love..
Carneys
all i can say is that it was good having yu guys stay with us we enjoyed the fun with the kids DARA and DADE they were good. hope Dara is getting used to the food.
Post a Comment