Monday, July 6, 2009

Ankle (continued)

Joel had xrays done for 350 shillings (about $5)! The 2 views they took showed no break! We are praising God for this. There is some mild concern that there may still be a fracture in his ankle that would only show up on a 3rd xray taken. The plan at present is...walk on it using the walking boot brought out yesterday (the doctor came early to bring Joel a boot and crutches) and using crutches if the pain is not bearable. Later this week if the pain is very bad, Joel will travel about 3 hours away to another city where a hospital is - to have more tests done.

He feels much better today than yesterday morning, but still hobbles around. His mood is holding but he tires easily. Thank you all for your prayers. Today we are learning about HIV/AIDS and general health tips for living in Africa - quite interesting.

Joel and I are enjoying the majority of the food. They serve tea here twice a day. The chai is made with milk and a bit of tea so I find that I enjoy straight black tea with sugar. It works. The kids struggle a bit unless there's a meat with meals. Today, for example, lunch consisted of very thick, chunky mashed potatoes, a zucchini blend, a very thick bean substance and a liquidy stew with tomatoes, onions and bits of beef (?). I put the stew stuff on my potatoes, skipped the beans, and enjoyed the zucchini. The kids ate 2 bites of potatoes and that was it. Joel ate everything. Dara's struggling a bit - thinking that she's starving - she still has no idea. But she'll get hungrier and will eat eventually.

The treat is a coke at the end of the meal (and I really don't even like cokes - but they're better than nothing!)

Here is a picture of the dorm we're staying in...maybe I'll get pictures to work afterall!

4 comments:

stacy mitchell said...

We are praying for you guys and are so glad to read that Joel's ankle is not broken. That is wonderful news.

Heather Corrick said...

Jill thanks so much for being a great blogger. You are doing a tarrific job keeping us updated. We are glad to be able to pray so spacifically for you all.

Tiffany said...

I'm so glad that it's not broken. We had a family prayer the other day before Mom and Robin left for Georgia and we lifted Joel up. I'm so glad that God is bigger than the distance between us! Now we'll pray that there's no fracture. I love y'all tons! Tell Dara and Dade that I miss them and Love them lots!!

Griffen said...

Hey Jill,
Hang in there! We're praying! There is a shop in Machakos town when you guys get an afternoon off, or if someone is heading that way. Naivas Self-serve. Get the kids some cookies and juice boxes... it will definitely save the day when meals are hard for them. The food takes some getting used to, and morale can be low on an empty tummy.

We're so glad Joel's ankle isn't broken, but are still praying for quick healing!