We are here in Machakas, Kenya for Africa Based Orientation. It'll be 3 weeks of learning how to learn a culture and other helpful tips on how to adjust to this new life before us. We are on a compound that houses a seminary. We are staying in a dorm that houses all of us. There are 3 floors and we are on the third (it'll be good exercise for us).
I think it's usually for men since the bathroom has urinals. There is one "water closet" for each floor. There are 3 urinals, 2 toilets, 4 showers and 2 "holes". The third floor restroom is designated for the women and the 2nd floor for the men. There has been a long period with very little rain so they are very serious about water conservation. I mean really serious about it. For example...we catch the water from our showers and use it to flush the toilets. We only flush the toilets when necessary. The saying they gave us to help us know when to flush was, "If it's yellow let it mellow. If it's brown flush it down." Okay, let's all say, "yewwwwwwww!!!!!" I really have to remember that water is a very very precious commodity and keep it in perspective. I'll try to send a picture one day (if it's still important once we leave here).
The kids have done great here. They are so dirty by the end of the day. I'm having to sit outside in the dark to get a good signal and my battery is about to die. I will try to send more pictures when we get the time. It's hard to get the time to check email only because it takes so long to get service up and going. We're alive and doing okay. Thanks for your prayers.
2 comments:
Just pretend you are on an extended camping trip! Without the smores! It is very, very hot and dry here, so you can at least know that your weather is much better than ours. Tell Dara and Dade the squirrels are hanging out on the front porch where it is cooler. Love, Gigi
We are praying for you and missing you already.
Post a Comment