Tuesday, July 21, 2009

On the road again..

Africa Based Orientation is over and we are off to our final destination (in a couple of days). We are back in Nairobi at the Mayfield guest house. We will leave here Thursday morning and fly to Uganda. We will stay at a guest house in the capital, Kampala, for 3 nights. Tonight we had pizza for dinner! We are so excited but, to be honest, it's the first time I've had to use Tums since we arrived. I think I may have been too happy to have pizza. :) We have the same room we had last time and the kids ran in and dropped their backpacks on the floor and ran out to play as if they were home. It warmed my heart in a special way to see how comfortable we all are - at least here.

Before we left, back at Scott Theological College, I finally took these pictures I had wanted...

of the avocado tree (it's huge!)
and the crow with the white vest.
We had to say goodbye to Jenny, a very special lady whom we have all grown to love, today. She is off to be a teacher at Rift Valley Academy and I was surprised at the emotions that overtook me. It was like having a little sister we were leaving behind. We thank God so much for her. It's only the beginning of some difficult "goodbyes". I thought those were over when we left home. I guess not. Tomorrow night we tell Hannah "goodbye" as well. She is off to Namibia to work in an orphanage. Here's a few pictures of Jenny and Hannah...

On our "safari"
Dara and Hannah at the top of the mountain before Joel twisted his ankle.
Jenny and Dade in a tuk-tuk (a little vehicle that's not called a tatu like I had said in a previous blog) :)


Joel and Jenny were picked along with others to be a part of a skit for "family fun night". Joel was an Indian chief.

God has been so faithful and has taught us so much. We have been blessed with amazing friends from all around the world and who are heading to places all over Africa. Sometimes it doesn't even feel like we've actually made it to Africa. We can obviously look around and see that we are not in Texas anymore, but life has not been as difficult as I thought it would have been. Life is not necessarily as easy, but I still haven't had a hard time. I anticipate this changing because one day I'll have to wash my own clothes and cook my own food. But I have an amazing assurance that God will take care of all my worries for the future too. We serve a great God who care about us intimately and completely. We are so blessed!

This is just a great picture (from the top of the mountain - again - before the twisted ankle)that Hannah took. She gave it to me and it's just too good to not share.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

We are so proud of all four of you. I see God in every smile in all the pictures. Thanks for following your hearts and serving our awesome God. We are praying for you daily. Allyson asks about Dara and Dade. When I tell her they are in Africa she always ask if they are with Aunt Jill, Uncle Joel and God. It is amazing that even at the age of 2 she knows that God is going with you all. Love ya,RObin

Debbie Hood said...

Hey Jill and Joel

I loved catching up on your blog. I've been in Phoenix with my sister for 2 weeks. Boy was it hot! The kids look happy and healthy. Thanks for keeping us in the loop. We are excited for you! Enjoy every minute.

Anonymous said...

Every pic you take seems to help us feel connected. Everyone looks happy and Dade looks like he is still after the "girls". We get Kristin and Katherine back this Sunday. We are sharing pics of you at chapel every Sunday and the kids here are still excited to hear about you and your adventure to Africa. looking forward to talking to you soon.

Mom