Thursday, July 23, 2009

Airport Lessons

Well, we are behind security and waiting for our flight to Entebbe, Uganda. Our good friend from Mayfield, George, got to take us to the airport. It is truly amazing how God binds our hearts to those we meet.

We have been trying to figure out over the last two days in Nairobi, exactly how much we were going to have to pay for our extra baggage. Based on what others had found out, we knew we would be over, but had no idea how much that would cost. The home office in Pearl River told us we were each allowed 30kilos (approx 60lbs) per person and that we would pay $3.50 per kilo for anything over that. However, in recent days we had heard that it might be as high as $7 per kilo. With all of our luggage that would have cost us about $1000.00!!!!!!!

Guess how much we paid....................$297.00!!!!!! Not sure what that comes out to per kilo, but needless to say, we were pleasantly surprised. They even let us use 30 kilos as our maximum weight instead of the 20 kilos it should have been due to the regional flight (Entebbe is only a 1 hour flight from Nairboi). I tipped the guy helping us get our bags to the counter 500 shillings - that's about $6.50 in US dollars. After we got through the line, we had to fill out our exit forms. As we were trying to figure out what to fill out, one of the other fellows that helped with our bags approached us wanting to know if we had tipped the other guy and if so, how much. I think I might have started a fight! Great......my last day in Kenya for over a year and I start a fight in the airport. You live and learn!!!!

The hard part was still saying goodbye to all those still at Mayfield when we left. The first group left at 4:30am and needless to say, I did not get up to see them off - blessings on you Wilsons, Eisbrenners, Margaux, and of course Hannah (the kids still miss you and Jenny!!!!). The Mazzas and Kathryn left this morning around 6:30 and we were still waking up. We will miss you guys! And then finally to the last of our ABO group - Jennifer, Mark, Ana, Cintia, Elizabeth, Joel, Little Isaiah, Rob, Char, and Little Micah.....don't think I left anyone else from ABO out. It was hard to say goodbye, but we are already planning times to see many of these dear friends.

Next update will be from Uganda - miss all of you back home and look forward to meeting all of you in our new home!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

And the adventures still keep coming... It must feel really weird to be having a totally new experience each day. Looking back life in Texas must have been pretty boring.LOL Well, we talk about you guys all the time and really miss you. Stay safe and enjoy the airport AC. Love ya,
Robin

Martha Schmidt said...

Wow....500 shillings is $6.50. Yes, that's a lot to tip! Don't you love airports and traveling!! Hope they didn't go through your bags at customs. They always love to see what you have. One time a customs agents came to watch us unpack our crates from the US. He started his own collection by his chair of my stuff...toilet paper...every time time he walked away from his chair...I retrieved my goods! Ha. TP is priceless...that I will NOT share!! HA ( I guess this means you should watch your backside?)

Tiffany said...

God is so wonderful! I'm glad that everything worked out better then expected! I love y'all so much!

Martha Schmidt said...

Joel...Internet should be faster now. Just read this on line: Internet broadband has become a reality in Kenya, Tanzania, Mozambique and Uganda for the first after one of the four awaited undersea cables was finally switched on on Thursday.