Don't know how else to explain the paradise we call Wal-Mart and Target. And did I mention the food? I really did forget how much I love Taco Bell. Jill and I (minus the kiddos) finally had some good mexican fare last night. Chips and salsa and a bowl of queso are almost heavenly! We went to Shreveport a couple of days ago to visit some friends and I had a crawfish Po-Boy (sorry Dale and Mike) and some etoufee. Nothing like Louisiana and cajun food to make you feel at home. Can't wait for boiled crawfish to come back in season (hopefully before I leave). I'm sure my brother and I will put down 6 pounds of mudbugs in the first helping.
I'm finally sleeping again. Kind of unusual not to wake up in the middle of the night because I heard another bump in the night. Weird to not reach out for the stun gun or pepper spray! I think my body is finally telling me how tired it really is.
Our time has been wonderful but fairly confusing. You often wonder how this is such disparity between here and Uganda. Jill often refers to it as a dream because it is so different. I've wondered aloud with many here how whole pockets of the world are left behind while we are so far advanced. Although at the core of it are the same issues - a lack of desire to allow God to guide our lives. In fact, we've often said that it is easier to be a Christian in Uganda than in America. At least in Uganda when you say you believe in Christ, people don't look at you like you are an uneducated fool. Ugandans respect God even if they haven't placed their trust in Christ.
In this dream state, we love being home - can't say it enough! We love being near family and friends. We love having our church in the backyard and being able to reconnect and share all that God is doing. We love sharing about the last year of our lives - good and bad. We love the hugs and love we feel from all those we've seen and talked to. But, each day, in some way, we are reminded of the home we've left behind. We're reminded of those who are waiting eagerly for our return. We're reminded of the work God still has to do in Mbarara.
It feels like a dream much of the time! Two homes - two worlds apart.
1 comment:
We love having you home. And are glad you guys are having a restful time. Can't wait to see you.
Love,
Robin
Post a Comment