Thursday, July 15, 2010

God bless Texas!

There's an old country song with a line that says, "God blessed Texas with His own hand" So for a moment I feel compelled to sing some of the praises with which God blessed Texas.

family...sidewalks...smooth roads (with lanes!)...full size washing machines...Mc Donalds...soft and pliable tortillas...hugs from parents...tortilla chips...ice cream...soft pews in church...dish washers...power that is on all the time...water that is on all the time...Papa John's pizza...ice cream...libraries...girls in shorts...soft bread...sitting in church surrounded by people who love you...air conditioning...Target...ice cream...

I could go on and on but I think this is sufficient. I do realize there are other places who have many of these blessings, but since our family and church is here (and I'm just a good Texan) - we'll just say leave it like I wrote it. :)

It's still a bit embarrassing for us all to go to the store together. We get excited about bread and cereals and appalled at the price of pineapples and avocados (the "large" avocado was $1.49 for 1 - it wasn't even big). From time to time Dade still asks if the water is okay.

Joel has been to the storage shed and pulled out all their old toys - it has been like Christmas in July. I will try to get better about taking pictures. I haven't even pulled out the camera since we've arrived. If I did have pictures, I'd show you how nicely Joel's face is healing; how his mom looks hugging the kids; sitting at the table with my parents; watching Dara and her friend, Addy, fall to the ground from the force of their first hug; and so many more.

I do need to capture these memories for the days in the future when I need to be reminded of my other life. That's how it feels - like we have two lives. One here and one there - so strange and yet so normal.

1 comment:

Laura Davis said...

I'm beginning to understand exactly what you're talking about. glad Joel's face is healing....buuut I hope it still looks like Harry Potter.
love you guys!