Thursday, July 8, 2010

The Fattened Pig

When we arrived in Mbarara there was a pig roast and now that we are leaving soon, there was another pig roast. It was delicious! We do have a gift for timing it just right. Our whole team was there, plus a few extra...

Here is Dara with our serious policeman, Andrew.

Dara wanted to be in this picture with Ruth as well, but apparently only her hands.

This is Crystal and Asher Kehn. She is due any day now and we can't wait to meet their new daughter, Adeline.This is Joel holding Crystal and Matt's other son, Stephen. He has become a ham when it comes to a camera, but who can resist that smile?!

This is Zillah, my British sister. She is the one who helped us through the hospital. We love you so much, Zillah! We have a very healthy (?) rivalry going on between our two countries; from the different/proper use of words to sports. It's a lot of fun. I am really quite glad that both England and the US were out of the World Cup on the same day. I don't think she could have survived the joy she would feel forever if England made it farther than the US. Actually, I don't think we could have survived her joy. :) Her parents have just come for a month-long visit. What a blessing to show your family your life.

This last picture is of Dativa. She lives on the Hollenbeck's compound and I think she is one of the most beautiful Uganda girls I have ever met. It is so hard to believe we have lived here for one year. Zillah and I were laughing about my response to the first party. She found me in the kitchen, hiding out doing dishes. I was shell-shocked and overwhelmed. Now it feels like home. Looking back, the year has passed quickly. But it felt sooooo sloooow in real time. God is so very faithful to take care of all of us along the way. We would not have made it without Him!!!

Thanks, everyone, for such a great party. If I start bringing over my compost, maybe the next pig will be of age/size by the time we are back in October!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

What a blessing to have such wonferful friends from so many places. God does truly teach us how to forget about our differences. Love you all,
Robin