Monday, March 30, 2009

Ingredients

My experiment today was to make yeast rolls. I've tried before, and I've had some folks offer to help me try again. I just really want to be able to do this on my own. (But why does yeast have to look so gross?)


As of right now the dough is still sitting in the refrigerator - where it can stay for up to 4 days! I'll make them into rolls tomorrow. I'll let you know how it goes.

Dade was home from school and joyfully came to help me. He got tired of watching the thermometer with me and proceeded to ask me which pans he could use for his ingredients.

He had a whisk, pan, measuring cup, and water - what more does a boy need to have a good time?Apparently the taste test of his concoction (of water) was okay - but could be better.He asked me if he could use the candy cane he found in a drawer as an ingredient. (I've been saving it since Christmas for some unknown reason - I guess for today.) When I told him he could, he didn't believe me. What does it say about a mother when her son asks three times "This candy cane? I can use this one? Are you sure I can use it?" and he's holding it up in front of your face with surprise on his? I guess he thought I would change my mind because he kept the wrapper mostly on until the taste test. The special ingredient didn't improve the taste of the water so...

One last little story to help you enjoy my son a bit more (we were outside so there's no pictures). I was mowing the back yard this afternoon and caught 2 green grasshoppers for Dade. He was reluctant to receive 2 so one got away in the hand off. I returned to mowing and a few minutes later Dade motioned for me to stop. This was his question, "Do grasshoppers like water?" I thought he was probably going to try to save this one and assured him that they get their water from the grass they eat. His reply, "Well I sprayed him with water and he jumped away. Now I can't find him!" We looked for a few minutes but the grasshopper really did get away. :)

No comments: