Thursday, July 10, 2008

A Hard Head

Just another funny story I thought many of you might enjoy. Besides, I don't want Jill to be the only one who ever gets to laugh at my expense.

A few weeks ago, we were at Home Depot and decided to pick up a swing to hang from our HUGE pecan tree out back. We picked up the swing, some additonal rope and a few other supplies. Needless to say, Dade wouldn't quit asking when I was going to put it up. So, after a few days of delaying, I went to my dad's house, borrowed his extension ladder and got started.

The swing went up relatively easy. It took a little rigging, but I finally got it hung in a way that didn't make me scared to let the kids use it. I even sat on it and jumped around a little making sure it wasn't going to slip out of the fastners I used. I was satisfied with a job well done and started picking up all my supplies. Here's where the title comes into play....

My dad's ladder has those real convienent hooks that lock the ladder in place. When taking it down, you use the pulley and disengage the hooks and it comes down relatively easy. So here I am.....standing UNDER the ladder.....and beginning to lower it. A normal thinking person would realize very quickly that eventually the ladder is going to fall below the branch it is resting on and thus, using the laws of gravity, will fall to the ground. However, my mind doesn't function that way....so as the ladder drops below the branch, I am happily lowering it with the pulley not quite yet grasping that the only thing between the ladder and the ground is my head.

The next thing I remember is yelling for Jill as stars clouded my vision. I won't bore you with the "holding my head in pain" part, but I haven't shaved my head since then because it was too sore and I was afraid of what a razor might do to the scabs that started forming. My head hurt for hours, reminding me that sooner or later, I have to start thinking like the age I truly am.

Until the next accident.........

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Love the story, but sorry you hurt your head