Lately, I've been very low on blog fodder. But two nights ago at 2 in the morning, Molly and Joel provided some entertainment.
Joel woke up to a squeak and found Molly leaving Dade's room heading down the hallway. She had a rat in her mouth!!! He woke me up (surely he knew I'm not the best choice as a comrade for this type of mission) and closed her in the living room. His plan was to close in her the living room, wait for her to kill it, dispose of the body, and then go back to bed. My plan was to close her in the living room and go back to bed.
Tuesday, August 9, 2011
Absolutely NO help!
We ended up following Joel's plan.
In very little time, maybe 5 minutes, we began to hear crunching sounds and knew the little rat was dead. We felt a bit like proud parents. Molly is such a good mouser. What more does a cat owner really want?!
Phase 3 of Joel's plan was not as easy as it sounded. Molly was not about to release her catch and ran around the living room dragging the bloody carcass with her. I watched all of this from the hallway window (our living room has windows that go into the hallway - I think for better ventilation)
So this is where I stood while Joel tried in vain to catch Molly. I made my mistake when I began to chuckle - it was quite humorous to watch! Joel insisted that I come and help him (what was he thinking?!) So I entered the living room cautiously - because it's good to be careful even around dead rats! And then I ran to jump onto the couch he was trying to lift up - this wasn't very helpful and didn't win me any browny points. So I jumped onto the other couch while reminding Joel that I'm really no help in these situations. I did offer to go wake up Dade - who is a big help, but that's when Joel pinned her. She was hissing and growling but he got her away from the rat and disposed of the body. Phase 3 was complete! (no thanks to me)
Now what I did do was help clean up the bloody mess she left behind - she had eaten the head off of the rat (this is really gross and feel free to stop reading whenever you want) and proceeded to regurgiate it in the hallway - down by Dade's room where this all started. So I cleaned that up as well - see...I did contribute somehow.
We finally fell asleep and morning came like it always does. Within 10 minutes of having the front door open, we heard Dara say, "Hello! Hello! Molly has something in my room!" Sure enough Molly had another rat (definitely a different one because this one had a head) and Dara was calling from her bed. I did my normal defensive manuevers and closed myself in my room until she was outside again. What a tough woman I am!!!
This morning we let Molly out but closed the doors so she could only enter if we checked her first. Hopefully the people working outside of our compound will finish soon so the rats can stay in their normal habitat and not invade mine! This cat may look gentle and serene, but she's one tough cookie!
Thank you, Molly, for blog fodder!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
Wow,I am so glad you guys have Molly. I feel much better knowing that she is getting the rats out of your house. LOL Love you all, Aunt B
I love this post!! And I can just picture you standing on that stool peering in from the outside. The whole story brought a smile to my face, thank you. I also loved the detail you describe the whole event with, you can't beat a little blood and guts.
Love you,
R
xx
Post a Comment