In my last post (a very long time ago), I promised a post dedicated to our dear son, Dade. This is it.
Dade is my little engineer. He loves to build almost anything. He asked me to help him build something with K'nex and I just looked at him as if he were crazy. He's honestly better off without me. When a piece is missing, he calls me to help in the search - this is my role in the engineering process. Here he is with a Ferris wheel.
Dade is my little engineer. He loves to build almost anything. He asked me to help him build something with K'nex and I just looked at him as if he were crazy. He's honestly better off without me. When a piece is missing, he calls me to help in the search - this is my role in the engineering process. Here he is with a Ferris wheel.
While going through Dade's math curriculum, I discovered one of the difficulties in raising an American child in a non-American culture. In his math book we learn to count money. It's great to learn to count by 5's and 10's but we don't use any of that money here. It was funny when I left Dade last week for our Tuesday morning Bible study. I asked Ruth to help him read his word problems if he needed help. One of his word problems looked like this, "Kim had 2 dimes and 3 nickels. How much money did she have?" It's easy enough, but Ruth doesn't know the value of dimes and nickels. They came up with "5" as their answer. It was cute.
Money's really the easy part. I feel as if it's funny to teach Dade about ounces, pints, and gallons when we don't use any of that here. I'm ready for the U.S. to join the rest of the world by converting to the metric system. The same applies to temperatures. Maybe I'm just a bit selfish, but it would make parts of my life much easier. I say all of this for a reason...Dade seems to have accepted that driving on the left side of the road is normal.
Money's really the easy part. I feel as if it's funny to teach Dade about ounces, pints, and gallons when we don't use any of that here. I'm ready for the U.S. to join the rest of the world by converting to the metric system. The same applies to temperatures. Maybe I'm just a bit selfish, but it would make parts of my life much easier. I say all of this for a reason...Dade seems to have accepted that driving on the left side of the road is normal.
This young man is Ruth's friend's brother.
His name is Paddy and he comes to stay with Ruth every now and then. He is older than Dade but has played and played with him when he comes. They have made spears, airplanes, and other odd things. They've played leap-frog until Dade's face is red. 
Dara even joined in one day.
Dade's made another friend this past week. Literally, he "made" it. This is his pet rock. He painted it like a caterpillar (or that's what he told us).
He even named the rock, "Grav vag" (it sounds a bit German, doesn't it?) About 4 days ago, Dade decided to take both rocks (there were two but when a friend asked for one, my tender-hearted son gave "Gringo" away) up into a tree. Dade wanted me to find a rope and help him pull the rocks up to him after he was in the tree. When I suggested that he just put them in his pocket, this was his response, "That's a good idea! Thank you for the suggestion!" He's so cute. Since then he has carried Grag vag in his pocket most of the time. This morning, however, Joel discovered that "somehow" Grag vag made it to the kitchen counter and then to the refrigerator - ALL by itself. I'm not sure which of my two boys is enjoying this rock more. :)
No comments:
Post a Comment