I know that I've written about Dara more than Dade lately (I do have a post in my mind about him), but tonight our conversation was so precious to me I thought it deserved sharing.
Dara and I were talking before we prayed and she went to sleep. She was reminding me of the many times each night I ask her whether or not she has brushed her teeth. Apparently, at least in her mind, it is the first question I ask her every evening any time we are together in the same room. So I told her the same thing I have told Joel, "You'll never know when I get Alzheimer's. You'll just tell the doctors , 'Mom has always been a bit forgetful and repeated herself often.'" (I'm joking about this even though I know this disease is a terrible one and hurts the family so much. Forgive me if this offended anyone.)
Dara then grew excited to tell me that the "venom hunter" (from National Geographic) touched a boxed jellyfish and that the venom from this jellyfish can cure Alzheimer's. (at least I think she said a boxed jellyfish) I proceeded to tell her that the venom hunter is quite foolish man for touching and hunting poisonous animals. To which Dara promptly replied, "No, he's awesome!" Well you may or may not that I take issue with the word "awesome" being used lightly. For me, it is a strong word and should only be used when referring to something truly awe inspiring; therefore, something related to God. Dara knows this about me and our dialogue progressed something like this:
Me: "That man isn't awesome. A sunset is awesome. The way the heart delivers oxygenated blood throughout the body is awesome."
Dara (interrupts): "You are awesome."
Me: "I'm totally not awesome, awesome is a word used to only describe things that God has done or God Himself."
Dara: "Yes, and God made you. He does good work, therefore you are awesome."
Me: "No, Dara, I don't do anything awesome. I'm not awesome, no one besides God is awesome."
Dara: "No, Mom, God made you. He does good work. You are awesomely made. You are awesome."
I finally conceded and found myself rejoicing in Dara's security in God's love and affection for her. Dara (and all of us) are "fearfully and wonderfully made" and God's "works are wonderful" and my precious daughter "knows it full well" (Psalm 139:14). Dara has no illusion that either of us are perfect, but she does know who she is in Christ. I pray that she'll never forget how awesome our God is and how much He cares for her (and you).
2 comments:
Well, your daughter is quite a wise young woman, and has been since she was very young. You are an awesome lady-so much more so than you ever realize. Not too many could adjust so well in a foreign, although lovely, environment, so different from everything you are used to. And you do it with a wonderful spirit of adventure. Besides, you are married to my awesome son, and you are raising my two awesome grandchildren. And I do not use the word awesome lightly either. But Dara is right, what God has made, He has made in an awesome way!
Love you all. Gigi
Thank you Dara and thank you Jill. I totally needed to be reminded that I am awesomely made by God. Praying for you guys always and miss you bunches. Love Aunt B
Post a Comment