Sunday, February 20, 2011

The cat is out of the bag!

Okay, I feel the need to confess up front. The title of this post might lend one to think there's a big secret I'm about to reveal. However, it could easily be titled: "The cats are out of the house!" - but that doesn't make someone want to read the blog. (I learned recently that the title is one of the most important factors in whether or not someone will actually take the time to read the post, so....)

So, now you know - we've begun to let the cats out of the house. We started Friday and will repeat it daily for specified lengths of time until we are confident the dogs won't try to chase/kill them.

Our dogs love to chase anything that moves. They run around trying to catch birds that are yards above them. I think the kites (a type of bird -http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Black_Kite ) enjoy teasing the dogs who go crazy running back and forth around the yard with their eyes on the bird flying way above them. In the past I've been embarrassed on their behalf, but David (our guard) said they've caught one before. Maybe they're not so silly.

But you can see we have a valid concern here. As soon as the cats run...the chase is on. So we're starting impora, impora (slowly, slowly).

I will feel better when the dogs aren't quite as interested. It's looks like this that make me doubt the bond of sisterhood I'd hoped they'd have for one another.

We don't think the dogs would eat the cats on purpose, but we'll continue to oversee their visits until we're all a bit more comfortable.

The last couple of weeks have been a blessing, not only because of the animal situation, but for many reasons. The elections have been as peaceful as we prayed. Thank you for your prayers. With all the unrest in other countries, there has been talk by some officials it could happen here as well. So far we have seen little, to no, violence.

Last week we were honored to speak at a Bible camp for university students. It was such a blessing to be able to encourage them to be men/women of character and to follow God in all aspects of their life - not an easy task. (To clarify: the talking was easy, but the choosing to follow God in everything is not so easy.)

Our Wednesday Bible study is kicking off a study of Ephesians this coming week and our guy/girl times will begin on Friday. We have spent the beginning of our term reviewing/teaching the foundations of our faith and are excited to begin building on that foundation. These students are hungry for the truth and now have to struggle in deciding what they will believe. Please pray they will learn to filter what they hear in their churches with what the Bible actually says. It should be the same, but sadly there are many times when it isn't.

Sometimes I wonder if people back home think we're here just playing, watching the kids grow up, and enjoying a carefree life at a slower pace. Please know that I don't usually blog about ministry, not because it doesn't happen, but because I don't want to share something that may be read by a friend here as "talking about them". Many NGOs (Non-government Organizations) around the world go to "help" and sometimes the people whom they are serving are exploited. We try very hard to protect the privacy of our friends.

There are times when we still struggle with understanding the culture, but we love the people with whom we work. God has blessed us with some amazing students who love the Lord and want to know Him more intimately. They encourage us to never stop asking God to grow us into who He wants us to be.

1 comment:

Ruth said...

I love the title of this post! Made me think for a second there was something I'd missed hearing about :). The licking of the licks picture is a great one, I love it, and can see the need for supervised visits.
Praying everyday for you guys and the rest of the team.
Xx