Wednesday, September 15, 2010

Thoughts In This Crazy Head Of Mine

I don't normally just ramble, but it's late at night and Jill went to the hospital to visit with some co-workers she used to work the night shift with. So, you're stuck with my incessant rambling....

...how much food can someone really eat? Seriously? I never knew how much I missed Taco Bell!!!! Three months ago, the thought of going to a place where you could get $1 burritos and get it fast, was just a dream. We have loved visiting with friends that we have missed dearly, but all that visiting seems to take place over a meal. Some of you may remember that during our first 30 days in Africa, I lost 30lbs! Don't worry, I'm taking much of that back with me in October. I feel like a bear hibernating for the winter. I'm packing as much on as possible for the next two years.

...roads - love 'em! Oh, the joy of being able to steer with your knee while you sip a cup of coffee and change the radio station is indescribable!

...sleep....finally getting some! Since February and prior to arriving back in the US, I had not slept through a night. Every noise jerked me out of my sleep to patrol the house again to make sure my family was safe. Now, I lay down and can make it until 4:30 or 5:00 without waking up! We have even (accidentally mind you) left the door unlocked a couple of night - that would have NEVER happened in Uganda.

...excitement is something that comes and goes. Some days I can't wait to get back to Mbarara and continue the work the Lord has started over this last year. Other days, the thought of leaving home, family, and friends tears me up inside. I guess that doesn't diminish the excitement of returning, it just adds a sadness to the mix.

...shaving is something you can do every day when you make time for it. I know my wife is glad to hear that one. I don't think I've shaved this much over the last year. Fog free mirrors in the shower and warm water cascading over you without worrying about it running out, begs you to stay in there just a little longer - hence more shaving.

...the thought of going to the market and my little hardware 'dukas' actually makes me smile. I've missed them - well, I've missed the people I get to interact with and talk to when I go. We heard from a friend the other day, that our dear friends, Nashit and Ankita were asking about us at the supermarket. That does my soul good!

...I'm getting older! I know that doesn't surprise anyone but me. It is hard for me to let that thought register in my mind. I still feel like I can do the same crazy stuff I did when I was 20 years younger - surfboards, climbing, somersaults, and yes, riding a motorcycle (and yes, we are going back with helmets).

...my wife gets more beautiful with each passing year! A wise man once told me, that the more a woman is loved, the more beautiful she will become.

...the kids are growing up. Not sure I'm ready for it, but from what I understand from my 'older' friends, you never will be ready for it. Dara bought a purse the other day. I asked her what she keeps in it and she said "makeup." When did that start?!?!?!

...you learn to do without a lot when you think of what needs to get packed in to 12 bags for the next two years!

Told you I was tired. That's all for tonight. Just three more weeks from tonight and we will be somewhere over the ocean on our way to London and then on to Uganda!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Wow the time has gone by so fast. Joel you can ramble anytime we all love hearing you share your thoughts.
Love you all,
Robin