Sunday, April 11, 2010

Catching Up

Wow, it's been a while since we posted. There have been times when I thought to myself, "I really need to post" but I was just too tired - so this is to catch everyone up to speed.
Most of you probably know that we are staying here in Uganda for the next couple of years or so. We spent a good bit of time looking for a new home and God led us to one that is just wonderful! It is quite a bit closer to town and to the university. Last night was our first night here and overall I'd say it was good.

Before I say more about where we are now, I'd like to help you see a bit of how we brought everything here....we went to Kampala in search of some pretty big items (fridge, stove, washing machine, and furniture). We found the first 3 in stores similar to Wal-mart (but no where near the choice selection). The furniture was found along a street where many carpenters work. We stopped and walked along until we found what we liked the best and felt was a fair price. This is not who we bought from, but gives you an idea. Interesting fact: the wood work stays outside - even if it rains - very durable furniture(even if a bit warped) :)
We loaded up all the big items into this truck we rented. I was so grateful they had a tarp (because I forgot to bring one) and we're back in the rainy season. If the rain doesn't get everything wet, the dust from the roads will make it all dusty - so I was happy.

Here's a view of downtown Kampala (with the truck - in blue)Shopping here is quite interesting as "stores" are more specialized than in the US. Joel reminds me that there is no Home Depot often. Here is a place to buy car parts...plants and flowers...bricks...

stones (from what I recall, they use these big stones mostly for the outside of houses; maybe for a sidewalk around a hotel)...

car radios...

rugs and "plush" chairs...

As you can see, it is definitely different shopping in Uganda. We're getting used to it - somehow. Well, the kids are awake and hungry (and I am too) so I'll write about our new home later.... :)

p.s. All the pictures were taken while driving down the road - thus, some are clearer than others and there is a lovely black border to some. My desire was to help you imagine what it is like here, but Joel and I agreed that it is next to impossible - you'll need to come in person!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

So glad you got moved into your new house. We got an offer on ours and close the end of April. Love and miss you guys.
Robin

Tiffany said...

Yay! I'm so happy for y'all!! It must feel great to have your own home there! How exciting!!
And close to the university?? It's official; Wes and I are coming to be foreign exchange students. :)
I love y'all so much!!
PS. Did you see what time Robin wrote that comment? Too early!

Anonymous said...

Wow it is so cool to see all that is there and are so glad to know where you will be for the next couple of years.
We have been praying for the house situation and the decisions that needed to be made for your future.
Thanks for keep us up to date.
We all love you,
Shane and family

Robb, Char & Micah said...

Hey Jill and Old Man...I mean Joel (that was for Robb!) Been thinking of you all lately so decided to check out your blog! Whoa, a big decision change! We'd love to hear about this sometime. Glad you found a great house! We really need to come visit ya'll (that's for Joel too! We don't say that where we're from!) Blessings and love to you!
Char