Tuesday, February 16, 2010

Pancake Day

One of the great things about being on an international team is we get to celebrate extra holidays. Today happens to be "Pancake Day" in England (I'm sure if the kids had known earlier they would have wanted to take the day off school!)

Apparently, since it's right before Lent, the British would use this day to clear their cupboards of ingredients that would make rich foods.

Here are our three "Brits": Seb, Lou, and Zillah (and Dade trying to squeeze in)
It worked out well because team meals are on Tuesdays and I didn't have a clue as to what we were going to have. So when Zillah called to ask about pancakes, I was excited to have a plan. I had no idea how seriously they take this day of pancakes. Seb and Zillah were both quick to inform me that these would need to be "much thinner pancakes than what you're used to". They also require different toppings, sweet and savoury (not savory) :) This was a bit confusing to me as "savoury" is not a word I often use. So I was floored when Zillah told me that we should have "tuna and mayonnaise" and maybe some "sweet corn". Do any of you associate the world "savoury" with tuna?!
Anyway, the fun part about this holiday is the tossing (not flipping) of the pancakes. Lou was first. Then Seb had a turn...

Apparently the height of the pancake is huge and although Seb's did get very high - it did not land all that well. (My competitive nature needs you to know that before you see my picture)

I never did get a picture of Zillah tossing them, but I did get Joel. He did his one-handed which I think is impressive for a rookie.

Okay, here was my toss - I realize it barely made it into the air, but it did leave the pan and landed beautifully! You can kind of tell that I was a bit surprised.Here is what the end result is like (I do apologize if y'all have eaten pancakes like this before, but this was all very new to me). This was my pancake with tuna, cheese, tomatoes, and peppers. In the picture it looks quite gross (really in person they're not much to look at either) but they are yummy.

They look a lot like an enchilada or thin burrito. Joel suggested that we call this a Tex-mex/British pancake meal (but it didn't go over well - so we stuck with the British part)

The "sweet" ones can be filled with chocolate, fruit, or the traditional: lemon and sugar. It was all fun and something new.

Sorry for the silence on the blog, this past week has been especially difficult. We do thank everyone for the prayers that have been offered up on our behalf. Thank you.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Glad to see an update you have all been missed. Aunt P said to tell you she is praying for you all. We are moving tomorrow into our new apartment. Love you all, Robin

Anonymous said...

Looks like fun Jill, you are a great flipper! We love hearing from you guys and enjoy the updates. I hope you are having a better week.Stan and Terrie

Flinzerny said...

Thanks for the fun post. lol and all the pix to prove it. Dade just can't have enough nationalities: American boy, Ugandan monkey, British..? haha