Saturday, January 23, 2010

Swimming

This afternoon was warmer than normal and since the boys will be starting school soon...we went swimming. This isn't our first time to go, but it was my first time to get in any pool here in Africa. You have to feel it to understand but the water here is COLD! It's not uncommon to see a kid come out of the pool with blue lips and shivering. The kids will lay along side the pool to warm up then get back into the water only to get out again and continue the cycle....it's crazy.

So today I made Dara's day by freezing with her. That's true love!

It was kind one of those moments when you didn't remember that you live in Africa (not that it's bad to live here - it just didn't feel like you were - if that makes sense). Then along comes this wedding party with 3 photographers. They came into the pool area and posed for pictures at the deep end of the pool. They even had the bride and groom sitting on the diving board! It was hard not to laugh. I think Dade got into one of the videos...walking along in his froggy towel. Dara wanted to do a cannon ball so badly, but I threatened her within an inch of her life. (Then I admitted that it would be funny, but just not to the bride.) They left after a few minutes and we went on with our play.

I am sitting here with red shoulders and back (since neither have seen the sun since we arrived) and I am so grateful I got in the water. Some things aren't initially easy but end up being worth it. This was one of those times.

1 comment:

Tiffany said...

Sounds like a fun day! It's so funny because the pool I work at is heated and inside. It is never below 88 degrees, yet still people will come up to me and ask if we have the power to turn it up (which we don't) because it's "freezing!" Next time someone says that I should tell them about this haha! I'm so glad you got in the pool too and quite impressed actually because I know that you hate cold water. And no I don't think the bride would think that was very funny ;) Love you!!!!