Thursday, January 14, 2010

Jinja

Jinja is the name of the city where the conference was held. It was a lovely time of fellowship and relaxation. It couldn't have been better. One interesting thing about Jinja is that this is where you can see the beginning of the Nile River. I had been warned not to expect too much, and I'm grateful.
Apparently some time ago they (whoever "they" is) built a dam around the source of the Nile. This turned it into a big lake. I was told that sometimes you can see a "bubbling" but this is all I could see.
I really had to wonder to myself if even the guide knew where it really was. It didn't matter. Dara had opted to go swimming with friends and Joel was battling a stomach bug that was going around; so Dade and I had a great time on the boat ride with some friends.
It was worth it, even if the actual source was a bit disappointing. When someone asked me what I had expected, I was forced to stop and think about it. Somehow I had imagined a clear lake where I could see some bubbles coming from an area encircled with large stones. Doesn't that sound better than seeing murky water that looks like all the other lakes around? Funny how what we expect can be so different from what we acknowledge is reality.

There will be a blog soon about some of what God showed us while we were there. Just know that sometimes He asks us to take a leap of faith and oh, the joy that comes with jumping.

No comments: