And if that weren't a neat enough deal, they also teach them how to artificially inseminate these cows. The point is to help them impregnate their milking heifer in the hopes of birthing another heifer to pass on as a blessing to someone else in their own village or another village where it is needed. If the heifer has a bull, then they are allowed to keep it or sell it. If the heifer has two bulls, and the third one is a bull as well, they are required to sell the third bull to help purchase another heifer as their "blessing cow." Sorry to be so long winded in explaining, but the program fascinates me!
John was given a lead, so we picked up John's friend, Rabon, and headed out to the Ntongama to meet with a local bishop and some ladies from his congregation who head up the Mother's Union. It was some of the most beautiful country I have ever seen - and that is during the dry season. They say when the rainy season comes, it is a lush green all over.Here is a picture of one of the many hills in this village. Notice the cows way up on the hillside.
We had a wonderful time visiting with them. I was even asked to share! I know nothing about the heifer project and indicated this to Rabon, whose response was, "well share about anything similar you have in America." John just smiled at me and I mumbled my way through some type of improv about being there to learn just like them. Here is a picture of the group. John is sitting on the left (as you look at it) and Rabon is in the middle.
I wish I had taken Jill's camera so I could have taken pictures all the way there. However, I just took my little one, so here are a couple of pics of the church we met in.
I was exposed to a lot of culture and it felt good to be there and feel lke I was helping in some small way. On the way out, we got to witness one of the very somber scenes of this continent. Apparently, moments before we made it back to the main road, a local Matoke (green bananas) carrier had gotten hit by a car. There were bananas everywhere on the road along with the dead body of the bicycle driver. Everyone was standing around - some crying and some just looking on. Fortuantely someone had already covered the body, but we had to drive around a puddle of blood to get back in to town. Along the way, we passed the local police coming back to the scene. We are taught here, that if you hit someone, DO NOT stop, but drive straight to the police and let them either go investigate or go back with you. I guess this applies to locals as well. And after seeing the crowd, I completely understand now. It would be easy for a mob to form in a moment's notice.
Life in Africa can go from very beautiful and awe inspiring to very sobering within moments. They say to prepare yourself for this, but I don't know that I'll ever get used to it.
6 comments:
What a fascinating day you must have had. And it amazes me how very practical they are in their method of setting up their/now your, projects. It is so simple that you can understand why we never think of it here in the states-it would make too much sense for us to comprehend. ha. I'm so glad you got to experience this day. Love you, Mom
Wow! That's a lot for one day!!! How sad that that man died! I mean you were like moments behind! That is crazy!
It's neat that something so common can be so useful! I mean just one cow can help that family, and later the whole village, so much! It's great that God allowed you to get to understand their culture better. Love you!!!!
I remember the first accident we encountered on the roads in Nairobi. Same scenario....bicycle...death...blood...but no one covered the body...and everyone just gazed. A very sad sight. We pray for your safety on the roads as you travel.
PS....You will learn to like matoke one day!!
Joel and Jill, thank you both so much for keeping us in your day to day lives. We love to read your blog.Isn't the world so different, but the same? Tell Dara and Dade hello for us.Stan and Terrie Knowles
Your in our prayers!! We love you!The Ellerbrooks
Great blog! Is that the same Heifer Project as the main one? (www.heifer.org) Ironically I just saw something in a magazine about it. My Papaw was a huge advocate of it. I always thought it was a great concept! Even if it's not the main one I'm familiar with, I'm really encouraged that AIM is involved in similar projects. I'd actually be interested in doing something like that... though I know nothing about livestock. The last picture of the church is beautiful! And that was a sad story about the banana cart driver. I am the same... I will never get used to things like that, but I pray that God will strengthen and encouraged you and your family as you witness both tragedy and redemption along your journey.
Post a Comment