Monday, August 3, 2009

Another new home...

with new friends. For the next 2 weeks we will be with a family from New Zealand (we are surrounded by delightful accents - I really do think I'll start using "wee" in my everyday vocabulary - if I can remember). They are John, Meagan, and Lucy. Meagan is back in New Zealand for the next 6 weeks to be present for the birth of their first grandchild. They have been so hospitable to allow us to live with and learn from them.

When we first arrived and settled in a bit, I suggested to Dade that he go outside and play with his cars which have been in isolation for sometime. Next thing we knew, he was coming back in to get more and he was playing with an 11 year old boy who lives on the compound here too. His name is Anthony and he will usually be at school this time of day, so it was a huge plus for Dade. The exciting thing for us was that Dade was making a new friend without Dara's help! He is still very shy, but he's making progress!
They were trying to find the fastest way to roll the cars, and then they found the dog house...I took the picture through a screen so it's a bit fuzzy. Needless to say Dade was sad to have to stop and run to buy groceries.

We bought our first mosquito nets today. Joel and John hung them - Dara's has a pink ribbon and lace while Dade's has a green string.

We went to a new market and this time, instead of observing - I actually bought things! It may not seem like a big deal, but any time I feel like I've learned something practical I feel this huge sense of accomplishment. I think it's God's way of showing me, "Jill, you can do this - I have equipped you and you will." What a comfort our loving Father is.
We had a great dinner of mashed potatoes, green beans and carrots, and chicken fried steak. The kids had a good time helping to peel potatoes. Hopefully you can see how serious Dade was. We save all the food scraps for compost. Things that would normally go into a garbage disposal is reused - I love recycling! The sweet young red head is Lucy. She is 17 and I look forward to learning from her. I think we've decided to buy a chicken soon and have someone kill and clean it. Most missionaries around here don't eat a lot of chicken but the kids love it (at least they did in Texas) so I feel this need to try. I'm sure you'll know when we do. I just hope Dara's not around when the deed is done. I asked Dade for another picture because I wanted everyone to know he really was enjoying peeling. The home we're staying in is beautiful and very modern. We are so blessed to be able to regroup here for the next little bit. This last picture is of a Karibu stork. Joel and Dara have decided that even though it is an interesting looking bird - it sure is ugly. I wish I could convey the sound you hear when it flies over you. The wings make a very impressive sound. We didn't get to bring our dvd recorder, but maybe we can catch it with Dara's camera. I'm just so glad I wasn't under one when it pooped!

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Your mosquito netting looks just like some that our girls have over their beds to create some privacy. Tell Dade and Dara that they are learning some of the life skills that we teach our girls here. It all gets easier the more you practice!

Love ya'll,
Mom/Gramma

Tiffany said...

I think it's great that y'all are learning so much there. I mean shopping at the market and stuff and learning how to do every day things in a different country and culture seems like it would be so challenging. I'm still learning how to do every day things here. Tell Dade I'm so proud of him! Praise God for his new friend! And he did look very serious about peeling! :) Tell Dara I really like her mosquito net. I like the pink bow idea. Well I love you all. Thanks so much for the pictures!

Anonymous said...

It looks really pretty there. So glad there is outdoor room for Dara and Dade to just play safely. And Dade's new friend looks like he is fun. You will get the hang of market shopping. You may even be able to introduce them to "coupons"! As much as you all are learning from them, you are teaching them things as well. Love, Gigi

Jenny said...

Sounds like all is well...GOOD! I think of y'all (that was JUST for you my Texan friends :) ) often and miss you! Give my love to Dara and Dade.

Hugs!!

Anonymous said...

Dade- I am soooo proud of you. I know you went out of your comfort zone and it looks like you were having a blast!!!
Dara- I loved seeing you in your purple dress. It brought a smile to my face because I've seen you wear it so many times. Does your net remind you of the one Addie used to have in her room over her bed? I can't wait to show her the pictures in the morning.
Jill-- I want to see more pictures of you- your shopping trip would be great to see.
Thanks for sharing- you are doing an awesome job of keeping us all informed. Keep up the good work!! love ya

Anonymous said...

Just looked up Mbarrara on Google Earth, looks like Stephenville.
How about posting a pic on GE so we know where your house is and what it looks like?

Hannah Langham said...

Glad to see things are going well! Also glad I won't be around for the chicken slaughtering!! I'm way too sensitive for that kind of stuff. :) Miss you guys!