Saturday, January 17, 2009

Do-over...

A do-over is what I need for today. I had the blessing to work last night. With only one and a half hours of sleep prior to my shift, I was very grateful that God allowed the night to fly by. Sleep today came in bits and pieces; and I remember why it's not fun to work a Friday night, Saturday is pretty much wasted. (This is not always true, but today it felt that way.)

Today, I did one load of laundry and we all went on our weekly shopping trip. Woo hoo! Also, I was the mean mother who made Dara start her homework for the weekend - forgetting completely that there is no school on Monday because it's MLK day. There were tears and unkind words/tones on both parts before it was all said and done. I snapped at Joel, who didn't get much sleep last night either (he never does when I work nights). Poor Dade could sense that everyone was a bit crabby and took advantage of the situation to be more rambunctious than normal. (Maybe not, but it sure seemed that way.)

All of this to say, that when Joel got into the shower, I took the time to listen to Dennis Jernigan's song "If I Could Sit with You Awhile". It's hard to explain, but maybe you'll have experienced something like this before. It's as if God was right here holding me while I confessed and whined about my day. The song finished and I chose another one on Joel's laptop called "Holy Says it All". When I was reminded of how truly holy and awesome our God is, it felt like the weight was lifted off my shoulders. God is so good!

My heart breaks for those who could read this and not understand how wonderfully incredible it is to have a relationship with God. I've been praying for the opportunity to share God's love in very purposeful ways with my coworkers. Yet, it seems like I'm either floated to another unit, or the nursing part of ICU life barely allows me the time to use the restroom let alone have a personal conversation. Please pray for me in this.

I'm sorry this sounds dumpy, but I really would like it to be encouraging. I am so grateful that God's mercies are new every morning, that He loves me and cherishes me even on days when I may not be so lovable, and that He doesn't change with my moods. He is sufficient! He promises to guard our going out and our coming in. That means He is with me all the time and He is watching out for me. Thank you, Lord.

P.S. Joel says that I always add a blog whenever he does. I don't want anyone to miss the one he shared. It's before "crazy hair day" and it's wonderful news.
P.P.S. If you're wondering what the tree has to do with anything...it doesn't. I just really like it. :)

No comments: