Sunday, May 1, 2011

Off to the Races!

Rabbit races, that is. This past Saturday, Dara and Dade put together a rabbit race.

You might ask yourself, as I did, "how will they make the rabbits run?". It's not as if there's anything very motivating about running to the other end of the kennel.

However, if you allow me (and I'm the one writing), I'll digress just a minute to say that I believe our dogs could compete well in a greyhound race. Whenever they know you're going up to see the rabbits, they run with everything in them to be the first one there. I can picture them running around a track chasing the mechanical rabbit. It doesn't seem to matter that they'll never catch the rabbit.

Okay, back to the rabbit race...

Before the races could begin, we each had to show our ticket and be seated.
The "contestants" took their places and the coaches assumed their positions. Apparently you make a rabbit run quickly by blowing on it's bum. It sounds a bit mean, but I'll admit it worked very well. :)
Zippy won the first 2 races, eliminating any need for a third.
In addition to the very entertaining races,
there was a dancing contest (sorry the pictures didn't turn out well) and a "sitting still" contest that Joel helped out with - we're not really sure which rabbit won these.
In the end, the winner and the loser both enjoyed the weeds as their prize. We all had a good time, but I do think Andrew laughed the most.
So now you know what we do for fun on Saturday afternoons. If you ever come for a visit, you know what you have to look forward to.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Better get my ticket printed for when I come to see the races!!! I wish I had been there, I would have laughed with Andrew! It sounds like a wonderful Saturday afternoon. Love to all, Gigi

Anonymous said...

Loved the pictures. Wish we were all there to watch the race. Good job Dara and Dade. Love and miss you all, Aunt B

Anonymous said...

Looks like a lot of fun!!!! I would like to know HOW and WHO discovered that blowing on the rabbits bum would make it run. LOL That is a little bit of info that I'll tuck back in my mind just in case I ever need to make a little bunny get moving! LOL So much fun! Love ya'll and miss you!
Ginger