Tuesday, October 12, 2010

Home at last!

After 2 nights in Kampala (of waking up for 2-3 hours during the night trying to adjust to the time change), Sunday came and we were finally on our way backto Mbarara. We like to travel on Sundays because the traffic is much lighter.
It wasn't until we pulled into our compound did I feel as if I was home. We were met by Ruth, David, Kate, Andrew, Silivia (Ruth's sister), Seb (the British young man who has been staying in our house), Zillah (a teammate - also British), Lara (a Texan nurse serving here for 1 year), a second Ruth (from Northern Ireland here until the end of December), and Zillah's pastor and his wife. It was such a great reception.
Our dogs are huge - probably full grown (at least that's what I'm telling myself). David says they have turned into nice guard dogs. I'll try to take some pictures of them soon. We walked in to a hallway of treasures - our luggage.
Joel and Seb had the majority of things out of the action packers by dark. Ruth loves the pans, utensils, and cleaning supplies we brought back. You should have seen her face when she saw the pizza cutter. When I explained how it worked she just had this funny smile on her face. I couldn't tell if she thinks we crazy or not for not wanting to just use a knife like we have been.

I do have something interesting to share - the bats are back - and in very large numbers! They hang together in bunches and weigh enough to break several large branches. I've decided to be thankful they eat mosquitoes and not people (since I have no means with which to make them leave anyway).

We thought we had found 2 kittens right away. Unfortunately, the mother never returned and they died. We told our pastor this afternoon we were looking and he called back within a couple of hours to say he found one at the church. We picked her up and brought her home. We have named her Mindy and she has already used her litter box (really it's a plastic plate sine she's not big enough to crawl into the basin we used for Mikey). She is quite young and it seems as if she has had a short, rough life. Her tail seems to have been chewed on a bit and her left sided whiskers are curled as if they were singed.

You can tell by Dara's face, she is already loved dearly.
This picture is more to show you Dara's dirty feet more than Mindy. It's all good!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Welcome home! So glad you guys made it safely. Ally still talks about her friends Dara and Dade and wants to come to Africa to see them. Know you are always missed and we are praying hard that life gets back to normal soon. Love you, Aunt B

Anonymous said...

We have been waiting to see and hear about the return to the house. I am so glad for the answered prayerd and all your luggage getting home without any problems. It is such a relief to see you all there and know that you are loved and wanted.
Shane

Heather Corrick said...

Glad to see you made it safe. We are praying for you.
Heather

Lilypad Mom said...

Glad you guys made it! We love keeping dibs on you all! Mindy is too too precious!!