Monday, October 18, 2010

Finally

We finally started school today. Dara was so excited that she had written all her spelling words on Saturday. That was more than I knew what to do with. All in all, it was a good school day. I think deep down even Dade enjoyed getting back into a routine. The sad part is that this is the first "first day of school" I haven't taken pictures. So sad...

The sadness continued when I was realised this evening that I haven't posted since last Tuesday - what is happening to me?! :) We've been without day time power for the past 3 days (Fri-Sun) and that is my excuse. So, let me just catch you up on a couple of things.

1) Ruth and I made bagels on Friday. They were ugly but tasty. It was a longer process than it should have been, but it was fun. There was not enough sun inside to help the bagels rise so we had to put them outside. The trick was finding a place where the dogs and/or ants would not get them. I finally put them on top of a piece of tin that comes off of David and Kate's house. It worked great. We had a great recipe from a missionary in Tanzania - complete with pictures. Even so, it wasn't easy. It's difficult to make holes in dough without leaving finger indentions all over! So, like I said, they were not attractive, but practice makes perfect.
This picture was taken between the boiling stage and the baking. The end product looked somehow better, but I didn't get a picture.
Our desire would be for Ruth to be able to sell them to other Mazungus and start a business where she cooks to order. The only problem we have now is our oven. Ruth and I knew from the beginning that it doesn't get as hot as it should. The up side is that we never burn a thing. The down side is that it takes almost double the recomended time to cook anything. So, I brought back an oven thermometer and discovered that my max temperature is...are you ready? after 1 1/2 hours of preheating we reached...260 degrees!!!! No wonder it takes forever. :) When we get money saved up we'll probably by another one. We spend enough in extra propane to make it worth while to get a new one. If anyone has ideas on how to make the flame higher, I'd love to hear.

p.s. I had a few pictures to upload but have grown so weary in waiting for them to load - that I've given up - maybe next time - good night!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey Jill -

Dad and I were talking and your stove regulator may be bad or you could try cleaning the holes in the burn to clean out any clog. It sounds to us like you have a clog somewhere. Dad said there is a things called and orvis (not sure on spelling) it regulates the gas pressure it can often times get clogs but should be cheap to replace. If the burn comes off you might be able to blow air through it to get any clogs out. This is just mine and dads' thoughts.

Love you,
Robin

Griffen said...

Yeah for bagels ;) Looks like you guys are doing great. SOOOOO glad!!

♥Tiffany♥ said...

Sounds and looks like you have a AGA Cooker 30XT Model stove. This problem is very common with these older models. Don't worry though because I can walk you through this step-by-step. First, removed the air shutter located just above the alcove. Then take it and reconnect it to the creosote and you should be all set! :)

Laura Davis said...

your use of "somehow" just made me REALLY happy. spoken like a true ugandan.