Tuesday, September 15, 2009

Trade Fair

Today we took a field trip to the trade fair. We were told not to expect too much - it wasn't the State Fair at all - maybe comparable to a small county fair. There were many venders who sold clothes and jewelry. One big tent had people getting perms. I was tempted to ask if they could cut my hair, because I'm in need of a trim. There were several who sold agriculture stuff like tractors and cow medicines. This is Joel and John talking to a guy about grass seeds.
We found lots of stuff we liked. I bought a salt and pepper set that was made from horns, a pair of earrings, a bracelet for Dara, and a decorated egg for Dade. The highlight was the "wild animal" exhibit. I wish I had taken pictures of the outside of the display. It was a solid, but not sturdy, fence with signs on it that read "Snake show at 10, 12, 2, 4" We knew we had to go, so at noon we were there ready to enter. We paid 1,000 shillings a piece (a little more than 50 cents) to see...an ostrich that kept pecking the fence - I wonder if it was hungry

two serviles (I cannot think of how to spell it - hopefully the picture will define it better)

two small tortoises, and a wee crocodile. The man said this was the first time they've brought any wild animals to Mbarara. They came all the way from Entebbe. It was about a 5-6 hour ride over some rough roads for the animals. In addition to these 5 animals, there were two pythons.

The "snake show" consisted of taking the smaller snake out of it's rubbermaid container and holding it out for us to see and touch.

Dara was the first one in the family willing to touch it. I was inclined to agree with Dade that snakes are better behind glass at the zoo.However, I decided that I didn't want to be remembered as a chicken-of-a-mom so I volunteered to hold it. It was too heavy for one person to hold alone and it was so slimy/scaly. It wasn't that it was gross, it was just the knowledge that there was a snake draped over me who could swallow one of my children whole if given the chance... Joel held onto Dade who was a safe distance away from the ordeal and soon we left that place and walked by the 2 rides in search of food.

The rides were swing sets - I guess one for adults and one for chidren. Neither looked very safe to me.

Then there was a huge barrel where trained motorcyclist would ride around in there. I guess you were supposed to be able to see from the top. Thankfully none of these were up and running and I was just grateful I didn't have to say "no". I think these attractions start later in the day.

For food, we found fries (called chips) and rolexes. A rolex is an omelet rolled into a chapati. This guy had a sign above him that said he was a rolex expert. I ate the fries with the kids and a chapati, but Joel said the rolex was great.


We found a place to have a cold Pepsi and called it a day. It was a lot of fun and something that broke up the week nicely. Tomorrow will be back to normal and there's something wonderful about that too.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow, that is a large snake. You have more courage than I. I think you said that the one you are holding is the small one and the big one was left in its container. Maybe I misunderstood your post.

I enjoy the photos. I think you may be close to the equator. If you look at stars at night can you see the Southern Cross? - Bob

Anonymous said...

WOW! I am most impressed. That certainly gives you more bragging rights than my little marathon some years ago!I'm surprised the kids didn't want to hold that beast of a snake.But I would have been holding on to their hands too!
Not the Texas state fair, but certainly not something you have seen the likes of before! What a fun day, and the food sounds quite good. Love, Gigi

Anonymous said...

LOL good job Joel for protecting Dade while Jill is surrounded by snake!!!!!!!

Shane

Robb, Char & Micah said...

Hello Jill & Joel! Hope you're all doing well. Sounds it! We think of you all often and Micah will still randomly ask about Dara! She had quite an impact on him!
We're doing well. Life in Nairobi...sadly exhaust and dust are the 1st 2 things that come to mind! We're settling in fine.
I gave our blogaddress incorrectly at ABO so if you're interested it is: theschecks3.blogspot.com There are not many posts as internet here is pretty bad and Micah doesn't give me much time now that Robb is "working".
Blessings to you all! Please tell the kids we said Hello!!
Char (& Robb)

Anonymous said...

Jill, you are one brave mama. I would of been happy to be called a chicken mama. That snake was huge and you had it wrapped around your neck. Oh my!!! I can't wait to show the kids tomorrow. I can hear them now, "would you do that?"

I'm glad yall had fun and your safe. We miss you! Love- Cheri