One day a few weeks ago, we were walking up the path to our teammate's house. Along the way we saw a female goat very large with child. (Doesn't that sound like something you'd read in the Bible? :) That's how Ugandas speak - with old English. Joel was told he looks "smart" last Sunday when he was dressed for church. Anyway...) The goat looked as if she'd have her baby soon. Come to find out, the goat belongs to a neighbor of ours who parks his truck in our compound (his is not very secure). So one day I saw him bringing his truck in and I chased him down as he was leaving the gate. Breathlessly I introduced myself and mentioned how we had noticed his goat (is a female goat called an ewe?). I gave him my phone number so he could call us if he was around when she went into labor. He smiled with a humurous look on his face and assured me he would.
Well, Friday, he showed up at my kitchen window and told me "She is beginning". So, Dara, Dade, Ruth, and I went to watch. Dade got tired of waiting after 20-25 minutes. We almost left too, but then her contractions came closer and closer together...so of course we stayed. It was her first baby and she wasn't very dilated. After breaking her sack they ended up pulling the kid out. I was so grateful Dara was able to see a birth. I think she enjoyed it.
Here are some play by photos. If you are squeemish at all...proceed at your own risk :)
Just kidding - birth is a beautiful, but messy, thing.
First, here is momma goat. She ate and kept eating most of the labor. She stopped only for the actual delivery. Her composure was quite impressive.

This is when her contractions were stronger and she pushed out some of the sack. They broke her water for her. I tried to tell Dara she was laying an egg - thankfully she was too smart to believe me.

When the laboring was continuing with no visible results, this young man washed his hands and face and helped out (I didn't quite understand why he washed his face, but he did it thuroughly).

Here come the hoofs (thankfully the baby was in the correct position - front feet first)
Next the head which took more pulling than the picture will portray. I was praying that Dara's first birth experience would be positive as it was a bit stressful there for a minute.
She was tired by this point and he helped the baby out the rest of the way.
It's a boy!
The mother was up and cleaning her baby as soon as it was out. Again, I tried to tell Dara that I licked her off after she was born. Again, she made me proud by not buying my story at all. :)
He already doesn't like his face washed.
By the time we left he was trying to walk. We were given the privilege of naming him. Dara and I had talked about "Trouble" but what if he lives up to that as he gets older? So Dade and I came up with "Speedy" because he was trying to get up so quickly. What a wonderful day!
3 comments:
Wow! Isn't God amazing how He had
that goat there to give your family a GREAT experience! Jill your pictures are awesome!! thanks for being so faithful in sharing your life in Africa. I know it's about 10 months before you get back. You can tell the kids that that is about the same amount of time before they came into the world. (I know that's not
how it's done in the goat world)
Love to all....phyllis
Your pictures were fascinating!How exciting for you to get to witness the birth up close and personal. Speedy is a very handsome boy goat!! What fun to be living around all of those animals.
Love you all, Gigi
A clean face is a very good thing. We all need to look good when we meet someone or something in person for the first time. As a nurse you should be proud of that level of cleanliness. LOL
Post a Comment