Thursday, October 6, 2011

Edible Maps

Yesterday, Dade had the assignment to make an edible map of our compound. The dough was made up of peanut butter, powdered sugar, powdered milk, and corn syrup. Medard (one of the business students) was there watching me as I added more syrup because I made the dough too early and it was quite dry. He was overwhelmed at the amount of sugar in the recipe and could only take a small nibble because it was just too sweet.

With Carolyn's help, Dade made a nice map of our home - complete with legend. I'll help you understand it the best I can. His hand is covering the garden, David's house is the circle on the middle left, the rabbits' home is the cracker on the top right, most of the green gummies are trees while the clear ones are the huge boulders in the yard, finally the outline of the house is made from torn up tortillas. You can tell he had a good time!
Dara was not about to be left out of the fun. Since she is learning Texas history, she drew an outline of Texas and did her best to depict where different Native American tribes resided. I do know that major cities are represented by sunflower seeds, the gummy worms (which we can now buy in Kampala!) are the Rio Grande and Brazos rivers, and the cracker crumbs are the Gulf of Mexico. They both had a fun time with their maps. We made them before lunch and I told them they could eat no more than 1/4 of the maps after their lunch was done. I was pleasantly surprised to discover they ate very little of the actual map. Medard was right, it was just too much sugar!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

The maps look great! So glad the kids had fun making them. Love you all. Aunt B

Ginger said...

Projects like this remind me why I enjoy homeschooling so much!! We are studying American history this year so we are getting to do a lot of Pioneer "stuff" this year. We made homemade butter today! It is very yummy!
The kids maps look great!!! We may have to do something similar soon! Sounds like fun.

Anonymous said...

Very creative. I am sure the kids will remember this experience for a long time. Way to go Jill! Your creative side shines:)

Love you all,
Mom/ Gramma

Anonymous said...

What? You didn't send any of the map to Gigi? I love things that are "too sweet"!
Dara, and Dade, and those who helped,you all did a super job.
Love you much! Gigi