Monday, January 17, 2011

A day to be thankful

Last Tuesday was a joyous day for at least three reasons.
Reason #1- My sister, Robin, turned 31 years old! I thought to myself, "Yeah! She's finally catching up to me!" But then it dawns on me, that I'm still 5 (4 1/2 actually) years older. Such a let down. However, this was still a great day (and a birthday she'll never forget) because...

Reason #2 - Caleb Andrew Chambers joined our family as Robin and Michael's second child. You can see pictures of her and the kids (Michael is in Iraq at this time) at their blog http://www.michaelchambersfamily.blogspot.com/

And for Reason #3 - We harvested our 8 ears of sweet corn and had a feast! I really don't remember liking the corn we grew as children - to the point of watching the cows eat the corn and not scaring them away. (The way I remember the story, my younger brother watched with me - I hate to be in trouble alone). But this corn was beautiful and delicious. We saved one ear to try and dry it so we can have seeds for next planting season. If anyone wants to send us some sweet corn seeds when they start to sell them in the spring; we'd be so very grateful. What a wonderful taste of home.

Dade didn't really want his picture taken, he just wanted to be left alone to eat. I can't blame him, but I just couldn't resist - it was too good to not document.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Congratulations to all. The corn looks delicious!! Love, Gigi

Anonymous said...

The corn looks awesome. So glad you can grow some amazing veggies there. Love you guys,
Aunt B

Heather Corrick said...

We tried to grow corn last year and it was a flop. We hope to try again this year. Glad you guys had success.
Heather

Martha Schmidt said...

Jill...we planted local seeds available at the duka's ....and the corn was great. Your neighbors will think you are crazy harvesting it when it is tender....they wait until it is so hard....have you tried roasted corn from the street vendors? We always loved eating that.