Friday, December 3, 2010

Home Alone

Well....for the first time in who knows how long, I am home alone with the kiddos. Jill had an opportunity to travel with two of our teammates to Rwanda. Have to admit, I'm a bit jealous. Rwanda is one of the countries that first led me to know that God was calling me to this continent. As a young college student, the horrific events that happened there, helped me to see the desperate need for God on this continent. Many have said lately that the same struggles I have been describing in our monthly e-news updates aren't that different than America. While I do agree with that, in this day and age, I don't think many of us can imagine what happened in Rwanda. Imgaine the US Civil War, except fast forward the technology to the mid-90's with the intent to kill, not just defend. It would kind of be like everyone in Fort Worth, wanting to kill everyone in Waco just because they were different. I won't bore you with all the details right now. I'm sure after Jill's trip to the genocide memorial that she will have much better information and a greater appreciation for it than I do now. Just rambling.

So, how did it go without Jill around? Lonely, cold at night and a new appreciation (again) for all the things she does on a daily basis to help us pull off a 'normal' life here in Uganda. Although, I do think I impressed Ruth. She couldn't believe I was doing school with the kids - guess she just thought it would stop while Jill was gone. She was more impressed that I had laundry folded and dishes put away this morning when she came in. This is not part of their culture at all. If momma leaves, the kids go with her. Fathers would never stay alone with the kids on purpose. Just another way we are all different.

She's coming home tonight and I can't wait! Life isn't the same without her here with us. I've forgotten how much she is my sounding board on EVERYTHING. Guess I always thought the first time one of us would be gone overnight, would be a result of me traveling somewhere, not her. But so glad she got the time away.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Joel you are one of the sweetest men I know. You and Jill are such the perfect pair. Just another reminder that God is so good to us. Terrie Knowles