Throughout my life I have always been able to relate how I'm feeling to different songs I hear on the radio. Back in 7th grade, Chicago was the popular group, especially when it came to parties and dances. If you're like me, you can still sing every word to "You're The Inspiration" or "Hard Habit To Break." Lately, there have been several infomercials on TV - you might have seen them (but I'm guessing your spouse wishes you hadn't). There is one for music from the 70's and another for love songs. Jill will sit patiently with me as I sing along to each song that they play. How I remember these songs I'll never know. They have stuck with me through the years. And yet, somehow I can't remember what I'm supposed to do tomorrow! However, lately, it's not so much the music as the lyrics that impact me. I used to turn the station if the music didn't fit my mood. Now, I'll listen to what the song actually says before I change stations. There are songs that I have listened to for a long time - and now I'm hearing them for the first time (makes you wonder why you ever liked some of them!).
Now.....think of God's Word as the songs of your life. Don't stop reading it because it doesn't suit your tastes. Don't pick up another book because the guitar rifts in the middle of the song don't sound like you think they should. Concentrate as hard on memorizing God's Word as you did trying to figure out the words to "Summer of '69" back in high school. Really listen......as if you are hearing it for the first time.
In our walks, we have found that the neatest part of being in God's Word is how fresh and new it is each time we read it. If you will listen to the lyrics, you will experience the same thing. It's the simple songs from God's Word that are providing us with the patience to wait on His timing to reveal where in Africa we are going. It's the simple songs of God's Word that sustains us when the storms rage around us and the busyness of life is closing in. It's the simple songs of God's Word that keep us on the same page in our marriage and our parenting and makes both such a joy. Pray that we will continue to be in His Word daily - what a difference it makes!
No comments:
Post a Comment